Saturday, December 6, 2008

New Gen Friendship

I just heard from a relative the other day that her undergrad studying daughter had gone to 3 stores to look for a diwali dress, came back with nothing, for nothing suited her like. It seems she wanted something really hep, while her mom felt the budget was way out of her line. When asked why she wud want something so affluent, the reason she gave was she was trying to "fit in".Now, this is when I started to think back. Does that mean that she was too embarassed to move with a crowd that dressed in modest manner? or does that mean that the so called group that she was trying to fit into cared just about their friends' appearance than their persona?


looking back, I was way too lucky on this front. Mine is almost a rags to riches story, though rags part is not all bad as it sounds.Every one of my close friends know how I was in college, the place I lived at and the change over that has opened to me over the past eight years, thanks to the wonderful west and an awesome hubby. But my friends have not changed a bit. As far as I know, they all were doing quite well than me but never seemed to mind it. Sometimes I was secretly embarassed to invite them to my house, for it was much smaller and lower in standards than what they were living in. However, they were quite matured to just not show any of it to me, spent as much time in my house as they did in theirs, and had the same clean fun.Even if I had a little bit of complex abt my way of life, I lost it in their company. At the same time, when I had a headstart in my career, they were there, encouraging me, visiting my parents when I was abroad and giving me the kind of support that I cud never dream of. Today, when I am reasonably well settled, they are still the same cheerful self, making me laugh day in and day out, The point is with my friends, I never had to "fit in:, I feel sorry for the girl. I only wish she realises what she has lost.

1 comment:

busyblogger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.